In the synagogue, Jesus stood up and read from the book of Isaiah saying, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.” (Luke 4: 14-30)
A few things to note here:
- Jesus read from the written words of God.
- He accepted these as the correct words of God.
- He demonstrated that these words were the pure, accurate, specific words passed down from the pen of Isaiah.
- He demonstrated His confidence in the way that the words of God were presented and maintained.
- He believed in the perfect preservation of the Old Testament.